Saturday, January 12, 2013

Daily Thoughts 01/12/2013

Interrupted Reading, Circa 1870, Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot

Daily Thoughts 01/12/2013

I have been enjoying reading The Visioneers.  I am learning about where a lot of unusual ideas came from including beamed solar power and the L5 Society came from.  It is very entertaining.  How about the L5 by '95 which was the original goal of building a space colony by 1995.  There is a lot of fringe science, valid scientific work that is not in the mainstream.

I checked the social media for the library this morning.  I also spent a little bit more time reading about big data.  I also got a speaker request.  http://bigdatabootcamp.net/Venue.aspx
I have no idea why I get these things sometimes.  I get them on occasion.  Although this may not appear to be library related, the page is copyright Infotoday, 2013.  Also KMWorld is very much tied with special libraries.

I read some more of The Visioneers.  I am reading about the creation of the personal computer.  There is of course mention of Moore's law which says that computers will double in capacity every year.  This is not going to stop, now there are 3D computer chips.  There is also Alan Kay's famous statement, "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

The Future of Computer 3D Chip Stacking
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/119843-the-future-of-computers-3d-chip-stacking

No comments: