Monday, July 15, 2013

Daily Thoughts 07/15/2013


Still Life With Books and Candle, Henri Matisse, 1890

Daily Thoughts 07/15/2013

This morning, I read some more of Who Owns the Future? by Jaron Lanier.  He is writing about how to create a digital economy that goes two ways.  A central point of his idea is that people who create content should be paid for it and acknowledged.  He is arguing against a purely free internet.

This morning, I checked the displays and the gift books.  I also checked the Twitter and Facebook account for the library. 

They redid the technical services area and changed the location of the electrical outlets, did some plaster work, and repainted everything.  It is much neater.  I went downstairs today with my colleagues and we chose new locations for our desks and got rid of some of the old material that was lying around.  I am looking forward to getting back to my regular desk soon.

I spent some time ordering today.  I ordered bestsellers.  I also ordered some literary fiction.  One of my colleagues gave me an article about Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche who wrote a recent title called Americanah.

On the way home, I finished reading Who Owns the Future? There was a little bit on libraries and the future of books.  I was not quite sure what to make of it.  I also started reading Jason Merkoski Burning the Page The Ebook Revolution and the Future of Reading.  Jason Merkoski was one of the early developers of the Kindle.

Web Bits

Being a Lifelong Bookworm May Keep You Sharp in Old Age
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2013/07/being-a-lifelong-bookworm-may-keep-you-sharp-in-old-age/

No comments: