Monday, July 29, 2013

Daily Thoughts 07/29/2013

Reading Man in the Park, August Mack, 1914

Daily Thoughts 07/29/2013

I have been reading Double Double A Dual Memoir of Alcoholism by Martha Grimes and Ken Grimes.  Martha Grimes is famous for mysteries.  She won the Mystery Writers of America Grand Master Award.  Ken Grimes worked in publishing.  This book ties hard drinking and alcoholism into two writers lives.  It is very interesting reading.  There is a contrast Ken Grimes smokes, drinks, and drugs his way through parties into a kind of haze of Led Zeppelin and the Grateful Dead.  Martha Grimes has a few too many after dinner martinis and teaches english in the local college.  Both find their way out in their different ways; Ken Grimes with Alcoholics Anonymous and Martha Grimes with a rehabilitation outpatient clinic.  It is a contrasting story.  The book is very well written with a lot of deep thought in it.

I checked the Facebook and Twitter this morning for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  I spent some time putting together an order which includes a variety of prize winning titles.  The shortlist for the Mann Booker Prize for fiction was recently released as well as the RITA awards from the Romance Writers of America.

I spent a little time moving most of my stuff back downstairs.  I received an Advanced Reading Copy of Anno Dracula: Johnny Alucard by Kim Newman.  I had requested it at Book Expo America.  I am looking forward to reading it.  The book, Romulus Buckle and the City of the Founders by Richard Ellis Preston, Jr. came in for me to read.  It is a young adult steampunk novel.

Web Bits

Book Covers: Before and After
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/07/30/books/30book-covers.html?_r=1&

No comments: