Monday, February 9, 2015

Daily Thoughts 02/09/2015

Man Reading, Eduardo Von Gebhardt, 1922

Daily Thoughts 02/09/2015

On the way to work, I finished reading Behind the Dream, The Making of the Speech That Transformed a Nation by Clarence B. Jones.  Clarence B. Jones describes how the speech is very visual as well as being similar to a sermon.  In his view, this is one of the reasons that the "I Have a Dream" speech had so much impact.  This book describes a seminal moment in the history of the civil rights movement by a person who was there.  It is an excellent first hand account by a participant.

I also read a bit more of The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi.  The book is quite dystopian.  It also touches on many environmental issues as well as near future technologies, like electric cars, painted on solar panels, arcologies, and vertical farms.  It is a message about how things could go terribly wrong in American Southwest.

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.  I also checked the gift books and the displays.  I put in my weekly order for new books.

I spent a little bit of time working on programming.  We left work at 5:00 p.m. today because of a storm.  I am looking at a grant for Latino programming.  I am thinking about working with my colleagues to write something for a Latino film series and collection.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2014/12/neh-grants-ala-15-million-latino-americans-500-years-history-programming


Web Bits


My E-Reader is Selling Me Toilet Paper




No comments: