Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Daily Thoughts 02/18/2015

John Frederick Peto, Take Your Choice, 1884
Daily Thoughts 02/18/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I also spent a little time thinking about programming and the survey.

I finished reading The End of Power by Naim Moises.  I think it is more of a book about changes that are occurring now than power.  It is about how institutions have different constraints because of changes in technology, society, and learning.  The end is a reminder that because the world is changing ordinary people need to be more part of the political process and participate more in society.  An excellent book on changes in how the way the world works.

I enjoyed reading Cat Out of Hell by Lynne Truss.  I liked the dark humor that turns into disorientation and a bit of madness in the end.  The cats were very well described.  A nice mix of horror and oddball humor.

I am reading Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear. It is steampunk fantasy.   The main character, Karen Memery works in a bordello which is licensed as a seamstress shop.  The villain of the novel runs a dockside prostitutes house where he mistreats the ladies.  Streetwalkers are dying and Bass Reaves a lawman has come into town to seek the culprit who he has tracked from Indian country.  I rather like how the clockwork automatons are described.  They seem to draw a lot from Singer sewing machines, pocket watches,  and old mechanical toys.

Web Bits



What Is a Librarian?
http://litablog.org/2015/02/what-is-a-librarian/

No comments: