Friday, February 13, 2015

Daily Thoughts 02/13/2015

Gabrielle Reading, Pierre Auguste Renoir, 1906

Daily Thoughts 02/13/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I also did a little work on programming.  I had some flyers printed.

I also spent a little time looking at book websites.  We do not get a lot of requests for science fiction with the exception of the major franchises like Star Wars, Star Trek, and Halo.

Link to Mount Vernon Inquirer article about WEDC at the mount Vernon Public Library.
http://www.mvinquirer.com/wedc-teaches-mt-vernon-women-about-entrepreneurship.html

The NAACP Image Awards Nominess for Books from AALBC
http://aalbc.com/tc/index.php/topic/2889-46th-naacp-image-awards-nominees-outstanding-literary-work/

This afternoon I am going to a presentation at the Melville House Bookstore for librarians.  It features Cat Out of Hell by Lynn Trusse which is a book with a bit of humor and horror at the same time.

I am back from the Melville House Bookstore.  It took me a bit to find it from the subway.  It was not an area of Manhattan I had ever been in before. 

The presentation was quite interesting.  It is going to take me a bit to write it up properly.  I picked up two posters, and three advanced reading copies from the tables, Black Star Nairobi by Mukoma Wa Ngugi which is a mystery and Gnarr! How I Became the Mayor of a Large City In Iceland and Changed the World by Jon Gnarr.  Lynne Truss also signed an advanced reading copy of Cat Out of Hell.

On the way home, I read some more of The End of Power.  I find what he is saying to be quite informative.  I am not sure that I agree with it.  There is a lot about how traditional political parties are increasingly becoming fragmented and having to deal with outside factions like the Tea Party or the Occupy Wall Street Movement.  Naim Moses calls these factions micropowers.

I think something else is happening.  As people become more educated, they demand greater political participation with their leaders.  The traditional avenues are designed to limit participation so people are turning to independent groups, single issue focuses, and minor political parties.  The common thread is demand for greater participation in the political process.

Web Bits


Libraries Furnish Inspiration for Home Decor


Not In the Clear: Libraries and Privacy


 

No comments: