Thursday, February 25, 2016

Daily Thoughts 02/25/2016







The Pensive Reader
The Pensive Reader, Mary Cassatt, 1894

Daily Thoughts 02/25/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of Postcapitalism.  I am reading about how capitalism adjusts to changes in technology.  The author describes 2008 when the United States economy almost collapsed as a point where new information technology took a major role in the economy.   He describes this as part of a cyclical change in how capitalism works. 

I checked the gift books and the displays this morning.  I also spent some time discussing a refund procedure for the copy machine.  I am also working on policies for the public computers as well as staff training.

This afternoon, the book club discussed On Her Own Ground: The Life and Time of Madam C.J. Walker by A'leila Bundles.   We are going to read Life In Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina by Misty Copland in March.  March is Women's History Month.

Tonight, we have the Adult Board Games Night from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

There is also an African American Genealogy class focusing on family trees run by a colleague tonight at 6:00 p.m.

In the computer lab, there is a Beginning Microsoft Excel class from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m..

I played a few board games tonight including checkers and Scrabble.

I also discussed purchasing some tablets with colleagues.  We are looking at the Samsung Galaxy.  I am hoping we can get some book apps.

On the way home, I read a little bit more of Postcapitalism.  Paul Mason cites Peter Drucker's concept of the "Universally Educated Person" as a precursor for changes in society.  I find Paul Mason's idea of the networked individual who spends a lot of time on their cell phone or internet not a particularly convincing model for a "Universally Educated Person" who can take complex ideas and turn them into workable products.  I think the style Paul Mason is writing in is at least partially directed at the young educated upwardly mobile hip liberal crowd.

Web Bits


LIbraries Embrace Green Technologies

Four Generations of Library Card Holders

Library of Congress Puts Rosa Parks Archive Online


No comments: