Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Daily Thoughts 4/7/2009

Japan's first treatise on Western anatomy, 1774. National Science Museum, Tokyo. Photograph by PHG, 2004. I just liked the image.



Daily Thoughts 4/7/2009

Would you buy a vook. It is a strange hybrid of book, video, and twitter. I signed up for the beta to see what it was all about. Maybe I will learn something.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/06/AR2009040603765.html


I read some more of the Jack Kerouac, On The Road, The Original Scroll. It includes names like William S. Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg in the text. This was not possible to include because of libel when the book was originally printed. There is a lot of very racy content. The language at times is vrey beautiful. Here is a quote, "Soon it got dusk, a grapey dusk, a purple dusk over tangerine groves and long melon fields; the sun the color of pressed grapes, slashed with burgundy red, the the fields the color of love and Spanish mysteries." P.182



We got a giant post 4 feet x 8 feet, I think for Earth Celebration the week of April 18-25. It is being put up in the library lobby. I am still calling people for preparation for the 25th, the cleanup and planting around the library. I called Cornell Cooperative Extension to see if I could get one of their Master Gardeners to come down and give some suggestions for planting. There is a New York state grant for existing garden clubs, but apparently our city garden club disappeared several years ago. It is a kind of mystery, no one seems to know what happened.



I am helping my colleague on shifting and weeding the 500s and 600s. Most of the weeding is done, now it is getting stuff transferred into storage, and shifting books that needs to get done. I also spent some time today going over ordering for the 100s and 200s with the new part time librarian. Some of the discussion was fairly philosophical. Some of the ways I see the public library are as a place of self-education, a way to improve the ability of people to have harmonious communities, make people more functional in their jobs, and a repository for culture. It is going fairly well. I still have a few miscellaneous tasks which I have to catch up on. It has been very busy lately, a lot more than before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.