Friday, May 7, 2010

Daily Thoughts 5/7/2010

Man reading a newspaper in the Dead Sea. Gnu Free Documentation License, 1.2, Uploaded by Pete to Wikimedia, 14 May, 2005. I just liked the image.


Daily Thoughts 5/7/2010

Most of the staff are off at a conference today. I had a chance to do the rounds, making sure the displays were in order, and flyers and bookmarks were up to date. I am redoing the graphic novel club and poetry club flyers. I also took a look through the gift books and found several new books to add by different suspense authors, mostly paperbacks; Vince Flynn, Daniel Silva, Dan Brown, and Patricia Cornwell were some of the authors. There was also a nice literary trade paperback by Jose Saramago, Death With Interruptions.

Another book came in for me, Gail Carriger, Soulless An Alexia Tarabotti Novel. I'm not sure exactly how to categorize this novel. It has werewolves, vampires, and mechanical contraptions set in Victorian London. It must be its own category, supernatural steampunk. I think that sounds right. There is another term for adventures like this as well, gaslight, which is sometimes used for thrillers set in Victorian times.

Soulless is proving to be a very entertaining read. It makes me think of polite society with "Vampires, dirigibles, and tea." http://www.gailcarriger.com/ I think that is a quote which I found on the authors website somewhere. It has a silly, lighthearted feel to it, making it quite palatable and amusing.

No comments: