Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Daily Thoughts 3/2/2011 (Citizen Journalism, Birth of Fire, the experience economy)

First reading-room, Public Library, Melbourne, 1862, Melbourne : The Commissioners, 1873.

Daily Thoughts 3/2/2011

On the way to work, I read Birth of Fire by Jerry Pournelle.  It is a classic military science fiction book on a revolution on mars.  The cover is by Kelly Freas.  The book was an old paperback that was falling apart in my hands.  I like the classic science fiction writers.

Today has been a quiet, steady day.  I checked the displays and pulled some material for the current events display on Libya, Egypt, and Iraq.  We are starting a display for Women's History Month which is this March.

I also spent some more time this morning printing up surveys for the library survey.  People are taking them and filling them out quickly.  I am also starting to get some online surveys sent to us.  We also reached over a hundred twitter users for our library.

Two more books came in for me to read, Losing The News The Future of the News That Feeds Democracy by Alex S. Jones and We're All Journalists Now The Transformation of the Press and Reshaping of the Law in the Internet Age by Scott Gant.  These books are on public journalism or citizen journalism which is a subject which I find quite interesting.

Today is Dr. Seuss's Birthday.  He is my favorite children's author.  I especially like The Butter Battle Book, The Foot Book, Hop On Pop, and The Cat In The Hat.  My favorite book as a child was One Fish Two Red Fish Blue Fish.

On the way home, I started reading The Experience Economy Work Is Theatre and Every Business a Stage by B. Joseph Pine II and James H. Gilmore.  This book is about how to create a satisfying complete experience.  Some of the companies the authors are writing about are Marriott, Disney, Crayola, and the National Basketball Association.

No comments: