Monday, May 14, 2012

Daily Thoughts 05/14/2012

"Science": Minerva, goddess of wisdom and the arts of civilization, with helmet and spear, points to an electric generator creating power stored in batteries, next to a printing press, while inventors Benjamin Franklin, Samuel F. B. Morse, and Robert Fulton watch. At the left, a teacher demonstrates the use of dividers.


Daily Thoughts 05/14/2012

This morning I checked the Facebook and Twitter accounts for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  The latest Booklist came in for me to read.

I finished reading the latest copy of Booklist.  Two titles that caught my attention are A Rich Spot of Earth: Thomas Jefferson's Revolutionary Garden at Monticello by Peter J. Hatch and American Canopy: Trees, Forests, and the Making of the Nation by Eric Rutkow.   I have seen quite a few of this style of book lately.  There is a genteel quality to this style of book.  I am not quite sure to call them.  American political horticulture?  It is a way of thinking about the history of a nation focused on agriculture, horticulture, gardens, and the ideal of the gentleman farmer.

I spent a little bit more time on Codecademy learning CSS.  It is getting much harder.  I am thinking about doing some inventory in the mezzanine as well as working on ordering tomorrow.  I am also thinking about the Adult Summer Reading Program which I should work on a bit more.

Web Bits

Daunt: Library E-lending Disruptive to High Street
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/daunt-library-e-lending-disruptive-high-street.html

No comments: