Sunday, May 27, 2012

Daily Thoughts 05/27/2012


Emile Zola by Felix Nadar, Circa 1895, from the Public Domain Review http://publicdomainreview.org/2012/03/07/photographs-of-the-famous-by-felix-nadar/


Daily Thoughts 05/27/2012

I spent some time updating the Twitter and Facebook page for the library.  I also watched some more of the Javascript training video on Lynda.com.

The Legions of Rome is proving to be intriguing.  I am learning some interesting things about Roman life.  Often Romans would try and avoid conscription into the legions sometimes hiding as slaves. I also learned that young men would serve as tribunes in the legions as a first step to becoming Roman senators.  Right now, I am reading the individual histories of each legion.  It is a story of constant battle some of which is focused on imperial succession in Rome.

I was at the mall today at Barnes and Nobles.  I had a chance to look around for a little bit.  I looked at Dr. Seuss who is one of my favorite children's authors.  I especially like the book, Oh The Places You'll Go!   I also spotted The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi which is a young adult book.  There was another book which I didn't get to read.  Blown Covers New Yorker Covers You Were Never Meant to See by Francis Mouly.  The one thing that I like in the New Yorker is the cartoons.  I can't say much else about the magazine.

I did a little bit more on Codecademy.  I think I will finish the CSS section tomorrow and start on Javasscript the next day. I need a bit more time reading and watching to get the basics of Javascript straightened out.

Web Bits

Can 'Big Data' Fix Book Marketing
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/retailing/article/52119-can---b-g-data-fix-book-marketing-.html
There is a New York City Business Data Meetup which has been very successful.  I have wanted to go to it for a while. http://www.meetup.com/NYC-Data-Business-Meetup/   The Book Industry Study Group runs a conference called Making Information Pay.  The last conference was on May 3, 2012. http://www.bisg.org/news-2-754-bisgs-making-information-pay-conference-beyond-business-as-usual-the-age-of-big-data.php
Because it is information oriented I am quite interested in this.  I just have not had a chance to go yet.  Librarians often use circulation statistics and statistics on patrons to report on how libraries are performing.

No comments: