Monday, June 11, 2012

Daily Thoughts 06/11/2012

Charles Dickens in his Study, 1859 by William Powell Frith, Victoria and Albert Museum.

Daily Thoughts 06/11/2012

My home computer finally ended its useful life on Saturday night.  The ram got corrupted and neither Dell nor Time Warner Cable could help me fix the errors running on the computer, nor get internet access up.  There was no access.  I have to update my computer with a new one that is powerful enough to run current versions of Adobe programs, Wordpress.org, and other software.

I read a little bit of The Founder's Dilemma by Noam Wasserman.  The first chapter is about how a person decides to found a startup and when it is best to act on this desire.  It covers things like industry background, family issues, and career dilemmas.  What is interesting is that the age range for people starting companies varies considerably.  35% of people don't start a startup until they are in their 40s.  There are also different motivations for different age groups.  Some people want control, other people want money. 

This morning, I brought in another batch of books from Book Expo America.  Many of them are current bestselling hardcovers.  There was enough material from donations and material from Book Expo America for the beginnings of a young adult cd audiobook collection which could be very useful.  For example, we got The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy on CD Audiobook from Book Expo America.

The book, It Worked for Me In Life and Leadership by Colin Powell came in for me to read.

I checked the gift books, the displays, and updated the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.  I also spent some time checking inventory in the mezzanine.  In addition, I watched a bit of the Lynda.com Javascript video and started doing codecademy.com again.  I took a break from it during the conference.

Web Bits

The Fourth Annual Librarians Shout and Share Book Expo America 2012
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2012/06/shows-events/bea/the-fourth-annual-librarian-shout-share-bookexpo-america-2012/
I did not go to this one.  I was there last year.  The book picks are all excellent.

Marc Andreessen on Why Software Is Eating the World - WSJ.com http://on.wsj.com/pC7IrX

No comments: