Monday, September 3, 2012

Daily Thoughts 09/03/2012

Bakery window page, A Little Book for A Little Cook, L.P. Hubbard, Pillsbury,1905

Daily Thoughts 09/03/2012

I have been reading more of Evolutionaries.  The author, Carter Phpps, is writing about Spiral Dynamics which is a very radical theory about the evolution of culture.  I found it to be very odd.  He writes about an even more radical philosophy in the next chapter, Integral Studies which is a philosophy focused on finding the common links between all the different fields of knowledge.  It is on the very edge of academia. This is a quote on Ken Wilber from the book.
For Wilber, every event in the manifest world can be viewed from any one of these four perspectives: individual interior (I), collective interior (we), individual exterior (it), and collective exterior (its).

This is a very radical notion.  The book right now is getting quite interesting, if a bit hard to follow.  Carter Phipps wrote for a magazine called Enlighten Next something which I have never read.  I looked at the site which Enlighten Next is from and it is basically a religious organization focused on something called "evolutionary  enlightenment."  It looks like a syncretic philosophy pulling together religion and science.  It is not something that I am part of.  Now, that I am looking at the site, the presentation is very toned down in the book.

As I read more of the book, I am coming across the same names in philosophy and religion repeatedly, Teilhard De Chardin and Sri Aurobindo who both had very radical notions of the place of man in the universe.  Other names which came up are R. Buckminster Fuller and Alfred North Whitehead.  The book is a very potent mix of ideas.  There are also a number of people who seem to have very different worldviews like Barbara Hubbard.

I also read some more of Margarita Madrigal's Magic Keys to Spanish. I am slowly getting a better grasp of Spanish.  I also have been doing the exercises in How to Keep People from Pushing Your Buttons.  

Today is Labor Day so the library is closed.  I plan on getting a copy of a Spanish dictionary when I get back to work.  I also plan on working on ordering and a few other things.


No comments: