Friday, September 21, 2012

Daily Thoughts 09/21/2012

Men reading headlines posted in street-corner of Brockton Enterprise newspaper office, Brockton, Mass.  Date Created/Published: 1940 Dec.  Part of: Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Collection 11671-1 Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-fsac-1a33873 (digital file from original slide) LC-USF351-25 (color film copy slide)

Daily Thoughts 09/21/2012

This morning, I read some more of The Comic Book History of Comics.  They are discussing the beginings of Silver Age comics.  Stan Lee is being discussed currently.  Stan Lee is known for his creation of Spiderman and The Fantastic Four.  His comics are still very popular.  I learned something surprising, Steve Ditko is a follower of Ayn Rand which I found a bit different.

I also read a little bit of Madrigal's Magic Keys to Spanish on the train, I am more than half way through the book.  I am hoping to watch some dvds on Spanish as well.

The book, The End of Money Counterfeiters, Preachers, Techies, Dreamers-- And the Coming Cashless Society by David Wolman came in for me to read.

This morning, I checked the displays and updated the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.  I like to see what new books are coming in in the new book display.  I try and have a sense of what we own so I can make recommendations of titles to patrons.

 I also spent a little bit of time thinking about gifts and donations.  The Friends of the Library are having another book sale, November 1st through November 3rd.  I always like book sales.  The Friends of the Library have been downstairs sorting through the donated books in preparation for the big book sale.  Some of them are retired librarians or clerks who previously worked at this library.

I spent a little time checking the 800s in the mezzanine.

Today has been a quiet day.  Very peaceful.

While I was looking through the September 10, 2012 Publishers Weekly, I noticed an advertisement in Baen Books for a nonfiction book called A New American Space Plan by Travis S. Taylor.  The book is coming out on 11/15/2012.  I am considering purchasing it as an e-arc.

Web Bits

Back to the Drawing Board, Bob Kohn Files Another Comic Brief in DOJ Case
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/content-and-e-books/article/54057-back-to-the-drawing-board-bob-kohn-files-another-comic-brief-in-doj-case-.html

No comments: