Thursday, September 20, 2012

Daily Thoughts 09/20/2012

Sugawara no Michizane Print shows Sugawara Michizane, full-length, standing next to a tree beneath a full moon, writing poetry. Date Created/Published: [188-] 

Daily Thoughts 09/20/2012

I finished reading Abundance The Future is Better than You Think last night.  It was a good reminder that we choose which technologies we are going to use and how we will use them.  Many of the choices we make as individuals affect how our future will happen.

This morning, I updated the Twitter and Facebook pages for the library.  I also checked the displays.  I read the latest Library Journal.  I also placed the book The end of money : counterfeiters, preachers, techies, dreamers-and the coming cashless society by David Wollman on hold.

We had the computer lab this afternoon between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.

I spent some more time this afternoon looking at the new books.  The new travel books are quite popular.

Things are changing a bit.  We have a new director, Donna Hurwitz.

I read some of The Comic Book History of Comics on the train home.  It is very enjoyable.  The books images often parody the history of comics.  I like the pictures of Walt Disney with Mickey Mouse ears. This makes the book entertaining.  There are a lot of very eccentric artists in the history of comics.  I like reading about people like Hal Foster, Jack Kirby, Joe Siegel, Winsor McCay, Bob Kane, and Wil Eisner.  This book covers the major figures in comics history.  Right now, I am reading about Fredric Wertham who wrote Seduction of the Innocent a critique of comics which led to censorship of the comics industry and a number of legal battles.

Web Bits

Why Philip Roth Needs A Secondary Source by Cory Doctorow
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/sep/19/why-philip-roth-needs-secondary-source

No comments: