Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Daily Thoughts 09/11/2012

[Reading room, view toward the delivery room, Carnegie Library and Music Hall, Allegheny City, Pennsylvania] Date Created/Published: [ca. 1890]

Daily Thoughts 09/11/2012

This morning, I updated the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.  We have a display next to the circulation desk for 9/11 remembrance.  I also checked the other displays and the gift books.

We have the computer classes this Tuesday evening.  There was also a meeting with the new director in the afternoon.  I did a tiny bit more checking the 800s in the mezzanine.

The book, The Rapture of the Nerds A tale of the singularity, posthumanity, and awkward social situations by Cory Doctorow and Charles Stross came in for me to read.  Cory Doctorow writes columns for Locus Magazine and Publishers Weekly.  He is one of my favorite authors.

On the way home, I read some more of Margarita Madrigal's Magic Keys to Spanish, I am on Chapter 23 now.  I also read some of Abundance The Future Is Better Than You Think.  It is currently about how people tend to create a much more pessimistic view of the future than is actually occurring.  They are also trying to create a philosophical and material approach to the future which will guarantee food, shelter, education, water, and comfort for all of humanity which is very positive.

Web Bits

Something Old, Something New, Dicing Data at NYPL Labs
http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/09/digital-libraries/something-old-something-new-dicing-data-at-nypl-labs-cover-story/

No comments: