Thursday, September 13, 2012

Daily Thoughts 09/13/2012

Robert Martineau, Last Chapter, 1863
 
Daily Thoughts 09/13/2012

This morning, I relaxed and took some time to think on the train to work.  There will be a new exhibit coming in the gallery soon in the rotunda.

I checked the Facebook and Twitter account for the library.  I also took some time to look at the new books this morning.  I always enjoy looking at the new books.  We have some new Batman, Fantastic Four, Spiderman and other traditional superhero comics.  We have a group of young men who like superhero comics.  They often read the graphic novels before they go on cybercorner to use the internet.

I spent some time checking the poetry section in the mezzanine today.  The library has the Computer Lab open today from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.  I helped someone set up an email account today.

I am looking at Richard Stark's Parker The Score Adapted and Illustrated by Darwyn Cooke.  It is a graphic novel in very stark yellow, orange, black, white, and brown.  Richard Stark is a pseudonym for Donald E. Westlake, the mystery writer.  Parker is a very hard edged professional criminal in this story.  He is a master thief, bank robber, and criminal organizer.  The feel of the story is very much a 1950s crime noire.  It is a large scale criminal caper.

I read a bit more of Abundance.  I rather like the idea that the concept of Cornucopia is a counter philosophy to Malthusian ideas about overpopulation.  If Cornucopia works it is better than overpopulation.

I also read some more of Margarita Madrigal's Magic Keys to Spanish.  I finished Chapter 25.  I think I am beginning to understand things a little better.

Web Bits

Vintage Ads for Libraries and Reading
http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/09/11/vintage-ads-for-libraries-and-reading/

No comments: