Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Daily Thoughts 09/18/2012

Portrait of a man writing at a table. Hendrick Martensenz Sorgh, 1663

Daily Thoughts 09/18/2012

This morning, I spent some time reading Abundance.  The authors are writing about energy.  Most of the focus is on solar energy with a little bit on wind energy, smart grid technologies and biofuels.  There was nothing on wave energy which was disappointing and next to nothing on geothermal energy.  Still it was interesting.  They discuss the concept of how Moore's law affects photovoltaics in a similar way that it affects semiconductors.  This is description of how photovoltaic costs are plummeting over time. http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2011/03/16/smaller-cheaper-faster-does-moores-law-apply-to-solar-cells/

I also finished reading The Rapture of the Nerds last night on the train home.  It was very enjoyable and quite ironic.  I will probably write about it later.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.   The career counselor is here today.  She does 45 minute sessions.  The computer lab is also open between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m..

I sometimes don't get a chance to read all the books which I check out.  I returned a bunch of material today.  I also spent a little bit of time looking at the local paper online.

The library has the Computer Classes tonight.  I spent a little time setting up the lab.  This week is Constitution Week from September 17 to September 23, 2012 http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/education/constitution_week.html

Web Bits

How a Small Net Zero Energy Library Got the Worlds Attention
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2012/09/buildings/lbd/how-a-small-net-zero-energy-library-got-the-worlds-attention-library-by-design/

No comments: