Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Daily Thoughts 12/11/2012

The Letter, J. Alden Weir, 1919

Daily Thoughts 12/11/2012

We had an early meeting this morning.  I spent a little bit of time checking the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.

I also spent some time checking cancellations.  There are more new books coming in right now.  I also spent a little time reading the New York Times Book Review.   I like the review for The Book of Books: 500 Years of Graphic Innovation, Edited by Mathieu Lommen.  It is a book of examples of books with excellent typography and design.  I think design and typography effect readability.

I am thinking right now of labeling.  We updated our category labels so that they have better descriptions and more bright color in them.  This makes it easier to find things.

We have our computer classes tonight.  I spent a little more time going over cancellations.

I decided that I should not go to the Big Data Meetup this Thursday.  Instead, I am going to union meeting because of the budget issues and the director leaving.  Sometimes, it is about sticking with your colleagues.  Right now, I have to think about what I am doing.

On the way home, I read some more of The Signal and the Noise.  The first chapter focused on the recent housing bubble in the United States.  It discussed how Lehman Brothers made mistakes in its decisions.  Nate Silver cited the book, Too Big To Fail as a good source of information on the collapse of Lehman Brothers.


No comments: