Monday, December 31, 2012

Daily Thoughts 12/31/2012

Edward Poynter, A Day Dream, 1863

Daily Thoughts 12/31/2012

This morning I read some more of Management Basics for Information Professionals. I am reading about managing technology.  Part of this is getting accustomed to change.

I also checked the Facebook and Twitter for the library.  The library is open a half day today from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m..  It is closed tomorrow for New Years.  I checked the displays and the new books.  I also spent some time finishing putting away my portion of the holiday book displays.

I am following the budget crisis.  There is an opinion piece on the Mount Vernon budget, but nothing which includes the library right now.

I checked out the book, The Lost Stars, Tarnished Knight by Jack Campbell which is military science fiction.  I also have a copy of The New York Times Book Review to read.  I have started reading it.  It is about a rebellion on a syndic or corporate world where everything is controlled by appointed businessmen.  There is a kind of hard edge to the story.

On the way home, I finished reading the section on managing technology in Management Basics for Information Professionals.  I am learning why it is often necessary for managers to receive extra training in technology as new technology is introduced.  They remind the reader that this should not be from a book, but instead come from in person training preferably.

The library did not get cut this time.  It looks like it may be audited though.  Mount Vernon Reaches Last Minute Budget Deal.
http://mountvernon.dailyvoice.com/politics/mount-vernon-reaches-last-minute-budget-deal

There was an earlier announcement in the Journal News.
http://www.lohud.com/article/20121231/NEWS/312310069/Mt-Vernon-officials-announce-budget-deal

It is a relief for me and my coworkers.

I finished reading The Lost Stars, Tarnished Knight.  I rather like the name of the main character Artur Drakon.  I also liked how the battles were described.  One of the interesting parts of the story was that the characters lived in a society where everyone was under constant surveillance.  There were also some interesting references to naval history peppered throughout the story.

I am feeling decent.  The fiscal cliff did not get me yet as well.  My job is safe.

I also saw this article from Tech Crunch.  Innovation Where We can Go From Here? A Lot of Places
http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/31/innovation-where-can-we-go-from-here-a-lot-of-places-actually/
This reminds me that in fifteen years I will be able to call for an automated car pickup, set the car alarm and be woken up at my destination for a fixed monthly fee not much more than subway service.

Web Bits


Was It “Write An Article About Libraries” Week? | LJ Insider



No comments: