Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Daily Thoughts 12/5/2012

Book plate of William Hewer, secretary of Samuel Pepys, exhibiting the “library interior” style, 1699, Source: 
Encyclopædia Britannica, 11th edition, v. 4, 1911, p. 232

Daily Thoughts 12/5/2012

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook pages for the library.

On the way to work, I read some more of Management Basics for Information Professionals.  The authors are describing the difference between creativity and innovation.  Creativity is generating new ideas while innovation is implementing them.

I also checked the displays and put some holiday books on display.  We are continuing to work on weeding the 900s.

The computer lab is open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.

BWI closed out all their orders today.  We are getting the final shipments in from BWI this week.  Next week we have a training for Baker and Taylor for Title Source 3.  I spent a little time going over cancellations and orders from BWI.

The book, The Signal and the Noise Why So Many Predictions Fail- But Some Don't by Nate Silver came in for me to read.

I spent some time reading review literature today. Michael Pollan has a new book coming out, Cooked: A Natural History in April.  It should be very popular. Also there is a book which I am hoping to read soon, The Cassandra Project by Jack McDevitt and Mike Resnick who are both entertaining science fiction writers.  I have a stack of review journals to read.

No comments: