Sunday, December 16, 2012

Daily Thoughts 12/16/2012

Chicago WPA Poster

Daily Thoughts 12/16/2012

This morning, I checked Facebook and Twitter for the library.

I have also been reading more of Management Basics for Information Professionals.  I am reading about professional communications.  There are a few excellent reminders.  People have a tendency to interpret some communications negatively if they are requests to do things.  It is best to be very careful when you comunicate via email.  There was a book that caught my attention while I was reading which I placed a hold on;  Communicating Professionally: A How to Do it Manual for Library Applications by Catherine Sheldrick Ross and Patricia Dewdney.

I also read some more of The Signal and the Noise.  Nate Silver is writing about weather forecasting.  An interesting tidbit is that if humans watch the weather patterns, it makes precipitation forecasts 25% more accurate and temperature forecasts 10% more accurate than if the forecasts are done purely by computer models.  This is a nice reminder that computers need to be checked by people to make them more accurate.


Web Bits

So What if You Have Big Data?  Without Data Driven Processes It's Useless
http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/15/so-ive-got-big-data-now-what/
I sometimes wonder what the meaning of data scientist is?  It would seem to me to be closer to information science.  Big data and linked data is being covered by ASIST.

No comments: