Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Daily Thoughts 12/19/2012


Be Kind to Books Club Are You A Member? Gregg Arlington, WPA, between 1936 and 1940

Daily Thoughts 12/19/2012

This morning, I checked the library Facebook and Twitter accounts.  I also got a letter of support for more computer classes in the computer lab.  It is nice when I see these kinds of things.  The patrons like the computer classes.

I also checked the new books and the displays.  We have some people who will be helping with the computer lab.  This could help us out considerably.

This is an article on the library budget where I work.  It says on a personal level I may not have a job at the end of the month, on a community level, it says that the library as an institution could close.  There is a Mount Vernon Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting on December 19, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.  If you live in Mount Vernon and support the library please come to this meeting.
http://newyork.newsday.com/news/nation/mount-vernon-budget-cuts-may-close-library-1.4349688

I spent some time checking the 800s in the mezzanine or storage area.  I also checked the computer lab and said hello to one of the people who is a regular at the computer classes.  There are now two quilts up in the Rotunda Galley exhibit of Grace Before Dying.

I spent a little time looking at the Purchase Alerts list and the Collection Management Sheet for patron requests.  There are a lot of requests for urban fiction right now.

On Friday, December 21, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. there is a Board of Estimate meeting on the city budget in Council Chambers at Mount Vernon City Hall.  I plan on going.  It is open to the public.  I am not going to comment.

I could not go to the board meeting tonight at 6:30 p.m. because I was working.  My hope is that things quiet down and that there is a solution to the budget issues.  I think that the library is of tremendous value to the community.  This value is focused on creating jobs, educating people, and creating access to computers.


Web Bits

Cornell Puts A Lawn In a Library
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2012/12/academic-libraries/cornell-puts-a-lawn-in-the-library/

No comments: