Monday, December 17, 2012

Daily Thoughts 12/17/2012

WPA Poster, Gregg Arlington Artist, between 1936 and 1940

Daily Thoughts 12/17/2012

On the way to work, I read some more of Management Basics for Information Professionals.  Right now, I am reading about listening and customer service.  Some of it is focused on angry patrons.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the new books, the displays, and the gift books.  I got a few questions about Freegal this morning which is a download service for music.

I have the latest New York Times Book Review to read.  There is a review of the fiction book All Men Are Liars by Alberto Manguel.  Alberto Manguel wrote two nonfiction books which I liked; The Library at Night and A Reader on Reading.  I also read the latest Publishers Weekly, there is a novel by Woody Guthrie called House of Earth coming out in February.  The novel has introduction by Douglas Brinkley and Johnny Depp.  The December 10, 2012 Publishers Weekly also has a large section on African American publishing.

The library is having WEDC Women's Enterprise Development Center do a workshop on entrepreneurship in February.

I got the book, Communicating Professionally today.  I also received the Romance Sells catalog from the Romance Writers of America.  Romance is one of the most popular categories in our library.

I am reading through the 12/15/2012 Booklist.  I placed the graphic novel, The Lovely Horrible Stuff by Eddie Campbell on hold.  It is a nonfiction graphic novel about money.  I also spent some time looking through the craft books that are being reviewed.  Crochet and jewelry making are very popular.

On the way home, I read some more of Management Basics for Information Professionals.  They are rehashing different ideas on motivation including Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs and Theory X (command and control) versus Theory Y (self-actualization).  I sometimes think that the idea that a person with a solid liberal arts education and common sense has better management skills than most MBA's is often true.

I spent a little time thinking about the budget today.  There are articles appearing in the local papers, the Westchester Journal News and the Mount Vernon Daily Voice.  I see things a little different this time.  Last year, we had a budget crisis with the library as well.  I am hoping that people are informed more than anything else.

Web Bits

Tablet Readers Don't Want Interactivity Says Hearst President
http://mashable.com/2012/11/30/hearst-tablets-interativity/

Ether for Authors Can We See You?
http://publishingperspectives.com/2012/11/ether-for-authors-can-we-see-you/?goback=%2Egmp_104765%2Egde_104765_member_197013918
An article about how hard it is to count the number of ebooks being produced.

No comments: