Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Daily Thoughts 10/15/2014

Alphonse Mucha, The West End Review, 1898

Daily Thoughts 10/15/2014

I have been reading more of Superintelligence Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom.  A lot of what is being described is speculative.  For example, how do you give a computer moral values?  It is an interesting idea.  Or, how do you make a computers purpose focused and exact?  For that matter, how do you measure intelligence in a machine?

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.  I also signed up for the Webucator library program.

I checked the displays and the gift books.  I also spent some time working flyers.  I did a little bit of shifting in the 900s.

There was a class on internet browsers today from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m..  I also got some class reviews for the poetry workshop today.

The film, Jodorwsky's Dune came in for me to watch.

I finished reading Superintelligence Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom.  I found this to be a very flawed book.  This book was about how to control and contain a superintelligence.

All of the artificial intelligences in this book are instruments, oracles, tools, genies which do not have rights and should be subject to control in case they act against humanity.  The type of controls being described are coercive.  I found some aspects of this book to be puzzling.  The default impression is that artificial intelligences are dangerous and most likely will be neither humane nor friendly.

The book lacked information on humanistic computing, machine learning that relies on people, and potential ways to make artificial intelligences attached to their creators.

Even though the book was flawed, it was very interesting reading.  I learned a lot about the different types of artificial intelligence as well as how an artificial might be endowed with a safe purpose and moral reasoning.



Web Bits

Carnegie Free Library Opens 1901 Time Capsule
http://www.heraldstandard.com/new_today/carnegie-free-library-opens-time-capsule/article_80197eb1-80c0-5061-967b-9741e4220bab.html

The Book of Secrets and Other Secret Books
http://blogs.loc.gov/catbird/2014/10/the-book-of-secrets-and-other-secret-books/?loclr=fbloc



No comments: