Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Daily Thoughts 02/10/2015


Daily Thoughts 02/10/2015

On the way to work, I read more of The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi.  There is plenty of action, intrigue, sex, and even a villainous gangster with hyenas.  The suspense element is different though, there are the Mexican cartels in the future who have taken over Mexico, different government bodies who are trying to get water rights, megacorporations from China and the United States, displaced refugees from Texas, and various politicians who want control over water.  It is a very bleak future world filled with dust, sun, heat, and lack of water.  The main character, Angel Velasquez is a fixer or water knife.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library today.  I also checked the gifts and the displays.  I spent a little time looking through the new books.  I ordered a few books from Omnigraphics.

I have a few copies of the Ingram Advance and a copy of the New York Times Book Review to go through which I did not get to.  I also have not had a chance to look at the Advanced Reading Copies more closely.

There is a Crochet Class today from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Fiction Room.  The crochet needles came in for people to use.

There is also a film, Been Rich All My Life being shown at 1:00 p.m. by a colleague.  In the evening we have Women's Enterprise Development Center First Steps to Entrepreneurship from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.  Also, the computer lab has two classes this evening, a Fundamentals of Computers class from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., and a Beginning Microsoft Word class from 6:45 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.

I finished reading The Water Knife on the way home.  It has an excellent ending which is different than expected.  This will be a blockbuster when it comes out.  Paolo Bacigalupi is a superb writer and each book that I read gets better.

I started reading The End of Power by Naim Moses.  There is a lot in this book.  Every page seems to have a new idea about how things are changing.  I rather like how he says part of this is due to increasing masses of unemployed, young people with improving education and healthcare all over the world.

No comments: