Friday, February 20, 2015

Daily Thoughts 02/20/2015


Daily Thoughts 02/20/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.  I also did a few things with Mailchimp this morning.

Last night, I started reading Waking, Dreaming, Being Self and Consciousness in Neuroscience and Meditation  by Evan Thompson.  This book is very syncretic it combines eastern philosophy and religion with neuroscience and meditation.  Recently some of the practices from Buddhism have been separated out from their religious context, specifically cognitive therapy.  This is challenging philosophically.  The book also covers how science studies meditation.  Right now, I am reading about early accounts of the concept of self.

I watched the film, Guns, Germs, and Steel which is a documentary hosted by Jared Diamond the author of the book which won the Pulitzer Prize.  It is a three dvd set published by National Geographic Society.

I spent some time talking with a consultant about a planned survey for the library.

Web Bits



How The Brooklyn Public Library Used Data Visualization to Build A Better Library

The Healing Power of Libraries

No comments: