Friday, October 27, 2017

Daily Thoughts 10/27/2017


The Music Lesson, Gerard Ter Borch, 1668

Daily Thoughts 10/27/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I finished reading Endurance A Year In Space, A Lifetime of Discovery by Scott Kelly.  I enjoyed reading it.  It tells what it is like to live in space.  The story is gritty, highly technical and entertaining.  I learned a lot about what it means to be on the International Space Station.

I checked the displays and the gift books.

We worked on a display for Veterans Day which is on November 11, 2017.

Right now, I am in the computer lab.  I spent some time looking at the New York Times Bestseller lists and the Publishers Weekly Bestseller lists.

We got a shipment of games today.  I brought some of them over to the children's room.  They had asked for Sorry, Candyland, Operation, and some professional chess sets.  We now have a very nice selection of board games for the library.  This should help us grow our Adult Board Games Night as well as create some opportunity for board games for teenagers.

I looked through a copy of The Times Literary Supplement today.  I also looked through several copies of Publishers Weekly.

I checked out the book Soonish Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything by Kelly and Zach Weinersmith.

I am not renewing my American Library Association membership.  I have looked at the results of belonging and found them wanting.   I find that the My Metro membership from Metro is far more useful as well as a number of local organizations like Urban Librarians Unite.  Also, I have found attending Book Expo America has done far more for my career and long term options.  I am beginning to realize that as an organization the American Library Association needs a lot of reform.

I also find paying attention to Every Library has been helpful.



Web Bits


Transforming Norwegian Public Libraries

Will Austin's Homeless Use New Central Library Like They Did at Faulk

Library Will Restrict Food, Limit Size of Bags to Deter Camping



No comments: