Monday, November 13, 2017

Daily Thoughts 11/13/2017

The Mathematician - Diego Rivera
The Mathematician, Diego River, 1918

Daily Thoughts 11/13/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

On the way to work, I read some more of Making Sense of the Alt-Right.  There are short descriptions of the philosophies of a variety of right wing groups including the neoconservatives, paleoconservatives, libertarians, kkk, neo-nazis, and other groups.

I also read a little bit more of Thinking Machines.  Luke Dormehl is describing how creativity is a process which can be copied by artificial intelligence.  He also describes how machines can use evolutionary algorithms to create new products like microwave antennas.

I checked the displays and the gift books.

I prepared some orders for new books.

I checked out Guide to Electronic Resource Management by Sheri V. T. Ross and Saram W. Sutton.

I spent the afternoon working with a giving platform called Give Gab for the Giving Tuesday campaign we are preparing.  http://www.givegab.com

On the way home, I finished reading Thinking Machines The Quest for Artificial Intelligence and Where It's Taking Us Next by Luke Dormehl.  I found it interesting that there are companies that will record your complete digital life before you die.  Some people believe that with artificial intelligence we will be able to upload our minds to machines.  This is a kind of transcendence without enlightenment. It is hard to predict what will happen when we do have artificial intellignece.  It will not be like us.


I also read some more of Making Sense of the Alt-Right.  Some of the more famous aspects of the alt-right are memes, trolling, and dark humor.



Web Bits



Readers First Survey:  How Can We Improve Library E-books?
 

No comments: