Friday, June 27, 2008

Morning Thoughts, Afternoon Thoughts, Neil Gaiman Oracle

Discworld Librarian (from Terry Pratchett's books) , image attributed to Lokal_Profil . It reminds me of a Monty Python skit.


Morning Thoughts

I find myself starting on ordering the social science books. I guess, I just like ordering books of all kinds. On a positive note, I will be able to order A Safe and Sustainable World: the Promise of Ecological Design by John and Nancy Todd. This is something which I have wanted to read for quite a while.

I also finished reading The Long Tail by Chris Anderson. There are a lot of fabulous ideas in this book.

I have a stack of Publishers Weekly which I am going through to look for social science titles. Next is Kirkus Reviews, followed by Booklist. Unfortunately, most of the books I find in these reviews are not the kind of thing which I want to purchase. Review magazines have a tendency not to review series like Opposing Viewpoints, Current Controversies, or basic overviews of subjects like politics or crime.

Afternoon Thoughts

The young adult librarian gave me a selection of social science titles to check for the advanced placement class. I ordered The Nine Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court for the college bound students. I finished looking at Kirkus Reviews. There is not a whole lot more review material I am going to look at. I think the next step is to look at a few websites for recommendations. Then I will search for books by subject.

I did order a few things which I wanted to read. How to Rule the World : The Coming Battle Over the Global Economy by Mark Engler. I look forward to learning how to be on the supreme committee. It might advance my career a bit in the style of Pinkie and the Brain. I just really liked the title of this book.

The other book which I wanted to read which I ordered is A Universal History of the Destruction of Books From Ancient Sumer to Modern Day Iraq by Fernando Baez. When I get appointed to the supreme committee, I will hold a special festival in honor of this book. The fires will burn high.

Then when I get home, I will read Starstrike Operation Orion by Kevin Dockery and Douglas Niles. It will remind me of my special operatives who protect me and take me to the moon base for vacation.

Looking at too many reviews is getting to me a bit fuzzy. We have twenty cartons of books which just came in from my previous orders. They are in the storage space. Our processing clerk said they will be looked at on Monday. Opening boxes of books is kind of entertaining. I am hoping that everything which I ordered comes in accurately.

Link To Neil Gaiman Oracle:

I found this on Kalafudra's blog. Go on shake it and get an answer. Neil Gaiman is fun.

http://www.neilgaiman.com/oracle/

No comments: