Monday, June 2, 2008

Todays Meanderings

Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)


I am almost done reading Full of Bull Do What Wall Street Does, Not What It Says, To Make Money In The Market by Stephen T. McClellan. I will probably finish reading it on the train home. I have enjoyed his criticism of the current use of analysts on Wall Street. He believes analysis should be separated from investment banking and should have a much more long term focus. He mentioned a book which I have in my bookshelves, Security Analysis by Graham and Dodd. He calls it the foundation stone for modern security analysis.


It makes me think deeply about stocks lately. I have been noticing that there is a lot more demand for mass transit lately, especially things like hybrid electric buses. I have been looking closely at Capstone Turbine which has an advanced hybrid electric turbine bus engine for mass transit. I think they will be doing well lately. I am of course not a professional and cannot know the future.


Two more books came in for me to look at today. One is the graphic novel, Castle Waiting by Linda Medley. There is an introduction by Jane Yolen. It appears to be a kind of fractured fairytale. The other book is American Nerd: A History of My People by Benjamin Nugent.


I also have been looking at another title called Theodor Seuss Geisel The Early Works of Dr. Seuss Volume 1, it is printed by Checker Publishing Group, c2005. It consists of Dr. Seuss's work before he was a children's author. Apparently, he met Chuck Jones, the animator during his stint in Frank Capra's signal corps. He wrote numerous editorial cartoons in support of the war effort during World War II.


He also ran a series of advertising cartoons for Atlas Oil. Right know I am looking at a magazine article entitled Ye Knights of Ye Round Table Being The Inside Dope on King Arthur's Court Translated From Merlin's Memoirs by Theophratus Seuss. The book is fairly entertaining so far.

The majority of his cartoon lampoon society. They often include rube goldberg type contraptions, make comments on peoples style, or physical aspects of people like mustches, beards, and adams apples.

There are also advertisements for things like mirrors and fountain pens. He did a campaign for Chilton Wing Flow Pens.

I am at the point where there are several anti Lindbergh for president cartoons. He wrote a number of pro-war cartoons well before Pearl Harbor.

I don't think it is as good as his children's cartoons. The majority of the cartoons are in black and white. This book is definitely not a childrens book. I still found it quite intriguing.

2 comments:

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss) has a really interesting history. I read somewhere that he also made a few war films, although I don't know much about them.

Interesting post and fun to read~

Ann

Book Calendar said...

One of his most famous films which I want to watch is The Five Thousand Fingers of Dr. T. I find reading his material to be fascinating.