Monday, June 30, 2008

Wall Street Journal Energy Issue, June 30, 2008

Wall Street Journal Energy Issue, June 30, 2008

Today, I decided not to read a book on the way home. Occassionally, I read the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times on the trade ride home. They both have become very expensive these days. It cost me a $1.50 to buy the Wall Street Journal. That is more than the cost of a cup of coffee at the diner down the street from the library where I work. It irks me a little bit.

However, when I opened this issue, I was pleasantly surprised. There is an energy section with quite a few good articles in it. One is on biobutanol, a possible substitute for ethanol that has 36% more energy density and can be transported using regular pipelines.

Also on the last page of the section, they profiled six republicans in congress that are supporters of alternative energy and are peak oil advocates.

Large parts of it were not that interesting to me. I don't particularly believe in nuclear power, or natural gas drilling. I also thought their article on algae oil was inaccurate. Algae oil is already being commercialized for production in New Zealand of all places. http://www.aquaflowgroup.com/ . They may even be producing biodiesel for jet planes for Boeing. It is a really fascinating idea. http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/nextnews7.23b.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Probably I can say with this blog make, more some interesting topics.