Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Daily Thoughts 12/1/2010 (Books, Review Periodicals)

Boy studying, from the album: Miscellaneous. Photograph by Lewis Wickes Hine, ca. 1924. From the National Child Labor Committee Collection at the Library of Congress

Daily Thoughts 12/1/2010

Today has been quiet.  It is raining outside.  With less people working, I spend much more time working on the reference desk answering peoples questions.   My background is focused on reference work as well as collection development.  Reference is slowly changing in the public library to more advisory work about what people need than finding people what they need.


I spent some time checking the displays for a little bit.  I also went through some files that were left on my desk.  I have a stack of magazines which were unread by other people, Kirkus Reviews, Library Journal, Booklist, and the New York Times Book Review.  I may not be ordering for a little while because of tight budgets.  We have to think about ways to raise money.

I have a stack of books to read when I am done, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, Paper Cuts An Anthology of Urban Fantasy Edited by Ekaterina Sedia, Jack McDevitt Echo, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, Rethinking Information Work A Career Guide for Librarians and Other Information Professionals by G. Kim Dority, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Dust of Deams A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, and Creating A Life Worth Living by Carol Lloyd.  Some of these books are popular titles.  I like to read things which are popular to gauge what people like occassionally.  It keeps me current.

I had an interesting conversation with one of the library board members.  We are definitely are in a very tight money situation.  It could get even tighter if the city comptroller is correct during the coming year.  When I am downstairs I can see a lot of empty desks.  Most of them are cleared off.  I also have my end of year schedule in front of me.  I have one holiday and one vacation day along with one personal day left during the coming month.  I also have 20 1/2 sick days.  I have to think carefully about how I will use my time.

One of my colleagues who retired came by and reminded me to be peaceful and pay attention; watch how I use my time, keep everything going smoothly.

Web Bits

Spending Cuts Gut Libraries In Britain

http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/home/888280-264/spending_cuts_gut_library_budgets.html.csp

Hard Case Crime Returns with New Lawrence Block Novel and New Publisher

By Craig Morgan Teicher-- I really like the hard boiled old fashioned noir in this series.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/45358-hard-case-crime-returns-with-new-lawrence-block-novel-and-new-publisher.html


No comments: