Monday, December 13, 2010

Daily Thoughts 12/13/2010 (Book Expo, Budget)

Pair of Hands With A Book, Albrecht Durer, 1506

Daily Thoughts 12/13/2010 

I spent some time looking at various publishing websites.  I thought Publishers Lunch was kind of interesting. http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/lunch/free/

I am once again thinking of next years conference attendance.  I plan on doing five days in May again.  There is Book Expo America on  May 23-26 http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/ , The Book Bloggers Convention on May 27, 2011, http://bookbloggerconvention.com/ , and the Day of Dialog Between Librarians and Publishers which I think might be on May 23, 2011.  The cost for Book Expo America last year in 2010 was $75.  The Day of Dialog was free for librarians, and the Book Bloggers Convention was included in the cost of attendance to Book Expo America.  It also gave bloggers a press pass for the conference.  This was probably good for positive publicity.  There are numerous panels for librarians at this conference.  I will also probably take the time to look at the IDPF Digital Zone which is listed for May 25, 2011. http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/Concurrent-Events/IDPF-Digital-Zone/

 I decided not to review Writing Tools by Roy Peter Clark. It is an excellent book, but it is the kind of book where what you will get out of it and how you experience is based on how you do the writing exercises at the end of each of the fifty chapters.  To truly get the full experience of the book it would take months to finish.  I would recommend it for someone who has the time to work seriously and continuously on their writing skills.

Tomorrow night I will be going to the Meeting of the Board of Estimate and Contract of the City of Mount Vernon New York for a Public Hearing on the 14th day of December 2010 at 7:00pm at the city Council Chambers in reference to the Annual Estimate for the year 2011.  I will not be speaking, but I am going to be listening to hear what people have to say.  I did read the proposed budget for the City of Mount Vernon.  The library is definitely a point of contention.

On Wednesday, I won't be going to the Board of Trustees Meeting, I always have to work during the time when the meeting is held.

No comments: