Thursday, December 9, 2010

Daily Thoughts 12/9/2010

Christine de Pizan, showing the interior of an apartment at the end of the 14th or commencement of the 15th century. Frederick Litchfield

Daily Thoughts 12/9/2010

I spent a little time looking at the statistics generator from the Institute of Museums and Library Studies on funding.  I am looking at three other libraries with comparable population size.  In some ways we are not as well funded, in others it is comparable.
http://harvester.census.gov/imls/compare/index.asp

I also worked a little bit on the displays this morning.

Last night, the book, The Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 1 came in for me to read.  It is 736 pages long including the index.  It is a big heavy book.  It includes a section of black and white photographs.

I took some time walking the book stacks spot checking for obvious loose material, things that were misplaced, damage to the shelves, damaged books, and similar things.  It is sometimes good to do this.

There is new signage to donate money to the library for bestsellers for the holidays.  This is satisfying to see.  I think it will help by showing we are trying to raise money by the city as well as generate some donations.

I also went to the Content Strategy Meetup holiday party at night.  It is going to take a bit to pull all of my thoughts together on this subject.  It was very informative.  It was a chance to give and take business cards.

No comments: