Monday, July 11, 2011

Daily Thoughts 7/11/2011

The Four Philosophers, Peter Paul Rubens, Between 1611 and 1612

Daily Thoughts 7/11/2011

I read some more of On Strategy on the way to work.  The chapter I am reading now is called Using The Balanced Scorecard as a Strategic Management System by Robert S. Kaplan and David P. Norton.  The writing is the trade language of management.  It has a lot of euphemisms, big words, and power statements.  It is the kind of language which a corporate board or CEO uses.

This morning I checked the reference email, Twitter account, made sure the displays were in order and checked some boxes of donated books.  It was a solid morning.  I also sent a list of professional development oriented publishers to a colleague; Amacom, Jist Works, Career Books, Impact Publishing, Ten Speed Press, Adams Media, and McGraw Hill are a few of the publishers.

I put the book, Out of the Dark by David Weber on hold.  Also, the book, Conquistadora by Esmeralda Santiago came in for me to read.  Esmeralda Santiago wrote an autiobiography called When I Was a Puerto Rican which is on the high school assignment lists.  I had to read it when I was starting my career in Brooklyn Public Library as part of a list of books to read as new librarians.

In the afternoon, I worked on a display for the Adult Summer Reading program.  I focused on mainly adding trade paperback books to the display of foreign authors; Paulo Coelho, Kenzaburo Oe,  some Europa edition trade paperbacks, and a few others.  The theme for Adult Summer Reading this year is Novel Destinations.

I finished reading On Strategy, now I am starting the book Harvard Business Reviews 10 Must Reads on Leadership.  I plan on ordering Harvard Business Review's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself
The series is very well done.  I picked up several sample copies of the series at Book Expo America this year.






No comments: