Friday, July 8, 2011

Daily Thoughts 7/8/2011

Exilium Melancholiae, painting by Bartolomeus Hopfer, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Strasbourg, After 1643

Daily Thoughts 7/8/2011

On the train to work, I read a little more of Child Wonder.  The main character Finn is on vacation at the beach.  I also read a little bit more of On Strategy.  The authors are writing about Blue Ocean Strategy which is also a book by W. Chan Kim.

This morning, I updated the Twitter account, checked the displays, checked the ereference, and checked the gift books. I usually mostly add classics and assignment titles for the teenagers. There were copies of Death On The Nile, Oliver Twist, The Iliad, Dracula, and a few other titles.  I also sent in the bi-monthly report for my department.

I was reading Publishers Weekly and came across an interesting book.  It was by Dan Fante who is the son John Fante, the writer.  John Fante corresponded with the poet and writer Charles Bukowski.  I have read many of  John Fante's and Charles Bukowski's books.  The book is Fante: A Family's Legacy of Writing, Drinking and Surviving: A Memoir by Dan Fante.  It will be coming out in September.

On the way home, I finished reading Child Wonder a novel by Roy Jacobsen.  It is a very sad novel about growing up.  

I also read #1-4 of  Stan Lee Presents Conan The Barbarian by Roy Thomas and Barry Smith full color paperback comics based on Robert E.Howard's character.  These were published by Marvel in 1978.  They are the classic barbarian with a sword comics.  I especialy like Roy Thomas's editorial style.  The comics have lots of action, blood, and gore.  They would not fit well with todays fantasy writers.


Web Bits

The Ipad Could Revolutionize The Comics Biz or Destroy It.
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/06/ff_digitalcomix/2/



No comments: