Monday, January 9, 2012

Daily Thoughts 01/09/2012


Reading Boy, Eastman Johnson 1863

Daily Thoughts 01/09/2012

I finished reading The Nook Book this morning.  I learned a little bit more about the Nook.  You can use Barnes and Noble as a publishing platform with PubIt.  PubIt converts your documents into Epub format so you can sell them.  http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubit_app/bn?t=pi_reg_home
I lent The Nook Book to a colleague this morning.

I also read some more of Disrupt this morning.  The author reminds us that you need to test your products with the real people who will use them.  He also compares prototyping to Mr. Potato Head which is an apt description.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern came in form me to read.  It is a fantasy title.

I checked the displays this morning and printed up some more flyers for events.  I also spent some time checking on supplies which we have; cups, napkins, coffee, etc.

I spent a little bit of time showing a person how to download books from the Westchester Library System Digital Media Catalog to their Kindle today.  A lot more people seem to be coming in with Ereaders lately.

I am looking at Readers' Advisory Service in North American Public Libraries, 1870-2005 right now.  I think people will still want recommendations whether or not the books are ebooks or print books. 

I am looking at the city budget.  http://cmvny.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Adopted-Budget-2012.pdf  The library has been offered $3.6 million this year in 2012.  There was a $3.5 million budget in 2011.  In $2010 there was a budget of $4.1 million.  It is something to think about.

No comments: