Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Daily Thoughts 01/31/2012






The Thick of the Plot (an elegant lady reading), signed, watercolour, 20 x 27 cm, George Goodwin Kilburne


Daily Thoughts 01/31/2012

Today was an impossibly busy day.  I finished reading Debt The First 5000 Years.  It is an interesting condemnation of our current economic system.  David Graeber says that our economic system has to change simpley because there are not enough resources for the world economy to continue running the way it is now.  He also says that the debt is unsustainable.  I agree with the idea that China is trying to turn the United States into a source for tribute.  It is a bit different.  David Graeber is not trying to convert people to his beliefs with this book.  He is rather trying to challenge people to think differently about money and commerce.  I found it very interesting if a little odd at points.

This morning, I checked the displays and the gift books.  We currently have three displays up right now;  one ongoing one for current events, a Black History Month display, and a display of books on publishing and writing. We had a lot of donations of classic books which may be added to the young adult collection.  I also spent some time talking to people about programming.  We are getting some equipment for programming. We are working on an annual calendar of events that may affect the library.  I looked through the American Library Association annual calendar, the New York Library Association calender, and a few other sites.

I also checked the Facebook and Twitter account this morning.  In addition, I spoke to a colleague about making sure the E-blast was done for a business program and a program by Shen Yun Performing Arts on Saturday.

I found out that Kenneth Davis will be at the New York Library Association Library Advocacy Day on March 6, 2012 which is interesting. http://www.nyla.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=64

I also spent some time gathering suggestions for future orders.  I checked the collection management sheet for patron requests this afternoon.  I did not get a chance to read the latest Publishers Weekly or Library Journal. It was simply too busy.

We had the Tuesday computer classes tonight.  As usual, I made sure the lab was properly set up and talked to the teacher.

Today was the last day for an Amnesty for lost fines at our library.  It made the day a bit interesting.

I am starting to think ahead to the coming year.  The Westchester Library Association Conference is on May 11, 2012.  The New York Comic Con is on October 11-14.  Hopefully there will be free Professional Passes for the professional day.  I am also hoping I get a chance to visit Book Expo America for at least one day.  Maybe I will get a chance to go to the Day of Dialog.







No comments: