Saturday, January 21, 2012

Daily Thoughts 01/21/2012


Conan Doyle Forward Facing Photograph


Daily Thoughts 01/21/2012

I read some more of The Night Circus last night.  I like that there are so many different types of magic and showmanship in this book.  There are illusionists, contortionists, clock makers, fortune tellers, and even a few real magicians.   There is a thin line between trickery and magic in this book.

I spent some time looking at the Programming Librarian Blog.  There is both a section on grants and a generic calendar for library events.  http://www.programminglibrarian.org 


ALA Midwinter 2012: Adding Kindle Compatibility Expanded OverDrive’s U.S. Library Network by 36 Percent  


http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2012/01/industry-news/adding-kindle-compatibility-expanded-overdrives-u-s-library-network-by-36-percent/

I am very glad that I purchased a Kindle Touch.  It has been very useful for my job and I have found it entertaining to read books on it as well.


ALA Midwinter 2012: Better World Books and Ingram Team Up to Create Library Revenue


We use Better World Books for some of our discarded items.

I put The Librarians Guide to Micro Publishing on request through interlibrary loan.
http://books.infotoday.com/books/Librarians-Guide-To-Micropublishing.shtml

I also placed holds on The price of civilization : reawakening American virtue and prosperity
by Jeffrey Sachs and The Lean Startup by Eric Ries

We are having more people coming in with self published books.  We also have the Mount Vernon Writers Network which has quite a few people with self published books.





No comments: