Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Daily Thoughts 10/09/2012

Woman and Child Looking at a Picture Book, Circa 1600, Jacob De Gheyn (II), Pen and Wash On Paper

Daily Thoughts 10/09/2012

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library.  I also looked at Library Journal Online and Publishers Weekly. I checked the displays and the gift books.

I spent some time talking to the career counselor today.  She had a bibliography with a variety of career titles.  I talked to our computer person on Friday about computer books.  I also spent some time looking through the Chief which is the civil service newspaper for New York city.  The Chief includes listings for Westchester county openings.

I read the New York Times Book Review and Publishers Weekly in the afternoon.  I also wrote down a few recommended titles from my visit to Barnes and Noble on Monday.  I am putting together another order list.

On the way home, I took a break and read On Cats & Dogs Two Tales by Neil Gaiman and a few Love and Rockets comics by the Brothers Hernandez.

I finished watching DC Entertainment Spanish Level 3 on dvd.  I'll probably have to start with some light reading, maybe a newspaper or a novel in Spanish and some television programs.


Web Bits

Man Booker Prize Judge Has Little Time for Book Blogs
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/9594823/Man-Booker-Prize-judge-has-little-time-for-book-blogs.html
This makes perfect sense to me.  Most book blogs in my opinion have a focus on readability, not necessarily literary quality.  They advise on what a person likes more than provide literary criticism in the traditional sense.

Three Words of Wisdom: Standards, Rights, and Data
http://www.idealog.com/blog/three-words-of-wisdom-standards-rights-data/

No comments: