Friday, October 4, 2013

Daily Thoughts 10/05/2013

Daily Thoughts 01/05/2013

This morning, I read some more of The Innovators Dilemma. The author is discussing how new innovative products often come from less profitable areas of growth than existing products. For example, small disc drives were originally developed for the emerging home personal computer market, not mainframe computers. I like the chapter about how hydraulic excavators eventually overtook steam excavating equipment. The author shows a pattern across many different industries.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library and the displays. I also spent some time showing people how to use Content Reserve to order children's e-books. This whole process is new to me.

We also had a meeting to discuss the different services available for us for digital media; Overdrive, Freading, Freegal, One Click Digital, and Tumblebooks. We also spent a little time on free services like Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive. I got a chance to look at the Google Nexus 7 as well.

In the afternoon, I handed in a rough draft of the computer schedule for November and December. We also put in a new desk next to the cybercorner. The usage for our computer lab has gone up considerably. Many of the people taking the computer classes are practicing in the computer lab.

I also did a little more weeding in the oversize books.

Web Bits

For Better Social Skills, Scientists Recommend a Little Chekhov http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/i-know-how-youre-feeling-i-read-chekhov/?_r=0

No comments: