Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Daily Thoughts 10/22/2013

Still Life Scales, Pyotr Konchalovsky, 1916

Daily Thoughts 10/22/2013

This morning, I read Art Made From Books Altered, Carved, Transformed compiled by Laura Heyenga on the train to work. It had some very interesting pictures of art made from altered books. People did a variety of things from carving out designs to making enameled rings to building sculptures made out of books. It was interesting looking at all the different designs.

This morning, we had a staff meeting. I got a little bit more understanding of what it means to be a school district library.

I placed my weekly order for books today. I ordered some of the National Book Award winners as well as The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton which won the Mann Booker Prize. I also ordered a few books on makerspaces including Zero to Maker by David Lang and The Makerspace Workbench by Adam Kemp.

I did a little work with Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

I checked out two books to read, Before Happiness by Shawn Anchor, and Star Wars Kenobi by John Jackson Miller. It is sometimes good to get in a little escapism to relax. I have two Times Literary Supplement, a copy of the The New York Review of Books, and a copy of Baker and Taylor's Forecast to read.

The computer lab was open today from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.. We also have two classes tonight, a Beginning Facebook class and a Beginning Tablet class.

Web Bits

Librarians Vs. Search Engines in UC Berkeley Report.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2013/10/librarians-vs-search-engines-uc-berkeley.html?page

No comments: