Saturday, October 26, 2013

Daily Thoughts 10/26/2013

Allegory of Poetry and Music, Angelica Kauffman, 1782

Daily Thoughts 10/26/2013

This morning, I finished reading Power Systems by Noam Chomsky on the way to work. For me, it is much like reading Rumsfeld's Rules. I don't particularly agree with many of the authors viewpoints. What he says to me that is important is that you should protect your mind from "mental slavery" which is a way of saying, you should be able to resist more subtle forms of propaganda. He describes the importance of reading widely and limiting or controlling your consumption of mass media.

This morning, I checked the Facebook and Twitter for the library. I also checked the displays. I went over a colleagues monthly report with her. I also spent some time discussing the Overdrive Advantage program.

This morning, I talked with the computer technician about Raspberry Pi and Makerspaces which was kind of interesting. There were a few projects to think about.

I spent a little time looking at what software different libraries had on their public computers. Most had a mix of standard Microsoft Office programs and internet browsers. A few had resume preparation software and keyboarding software. I noticed that some libraries like San Francisco Public Library had Open Office on their public computers instead of Microsoft Office. We have Microsoft Office, Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, various internet browsers and some applications like Picasa and Windows Media Player. There were some interesting things like GIMP, paint.net, and Scribus which were on Chicago Public Library's list of software they had on their public computers.

I checked out the book, Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls Essays, Etc. by David Sedaris. I like David Sedaris's humor. Web Bits

Looking for a 2 a.m. Library Fix? Milwaukee to Debut 24 Hour Vending

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/looking-for-a-2-am-library-fix-milwaukee-to-debut-24-hour-vending-b99118901z1-227669761.html

No comments: