Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Daily Thoughts 10/8/2013

Woman With A Book, Fernand Leger, 1923

Daily Thoughts 10/8/2013

This morning, I read some more of The Innovators Dilemma. I am finding it interesting how the authors describe creating new divisions within a company that are independent so they can innovate. Clayton M. Christensen claims it is necessary to have a completely new set of people with independent ideas to create new products.

This morning, I checked the displays, the new books, and the social media for the library. I also spent a little bit of time ordering books. I have to order some large print books later today. The book, Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon came in for me to read.

I also spent a little bit of time getting ready for a program tomorrow. We are having Henry A. May read from his book, First Black Autos tomorrow, October 9, 2013 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Yesterday, I was at Metro learning about Preservation Grants from the New York State Library. It was interesting. One site that seemed useful from listing to the lecture was dPlan http://www.dplan.org which is a disaster planning site for cultural organizations.

I also stopped by Roger's Time Machine which is an old comic book store and looked around. Much of the material I collect has gone up in price and it is not as available. The comic book industry is changing. People are holding onto their older comics. I also learned that the New York Comic Con was sold out. I did not get my tickets in time for professional day. Even the comic book store owners are having a hard time getting tickets. There should be over 2 million people going through the show. I imagine people will be barely able to move on the show floor on Saturday and and Sunday. One of my colleagues is going, he got his ticket in June.

This afternoon, I spent a little bit of time ordering large print titles. I also spent some time weeding in the oversize collection. There are two computer classes tonight, a Microsoft Word Class and a Fundamentals of Computer Operations class.

No comments: