Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Daily Thoughts 10/2/2013

Daily Thoughts 10/2/2013

Last night, I finished reading The Effective Executive by Peter Drucker. It is the second time I have read this book. The book always seems to reveal something new each time you read it. It is a reminder that effectiveness is learned and that time is not to be wasted. I also started reading The Innovators Dilemma by Clayton Christensen. This book makes me think how many other services right now are increasingly tackling searching for information as their primary goal that are not libraries. Companies like Google, Quora, and others are taking on librarian like roles.

This morning, I checked the displays and did some weeding in the oversize books. I also placed an order in Overdrive Advantage for the first time for e-books. It was very interesting. I got to the see different models of pricing for e-books. I have a copy of The New York Times Book Review to read.

I spent a little bit of time working on the November and December schedule for computer classes.

Tom Clancy passed away. I enjoyed reading some of his thrillers. He also wrote some excellent nonfiction books on armored cavalry and fighter jets.

Web Bits

The Abomination of E-books: They Price People Out of Reading

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/10/how-ebook-pricing-hurts-us-in-more-ways-than-you-think/

Pleasure Reading 'Significantly' Increases School Performance

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/reading-for-pleasure-significantly-increases-kids-school-performance_b77702

No comments: