Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Daily Thoughts 11/26/2014

Woman On An Armchair, Federico Zandomeneghi, 1908

Daily Thoughts 11/26/2014

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.



On the way to work, I read some more of Unbroken.  Louis Zamperini's plane goes down and he spends 47 days on a rubber raft at sea and then is finally captured by the Japanese and put in a special interrogation camp.  It is a description of one harrowing thing after another.



I checked the gifts and the displays this morning.  I am clearing one of them for a new display.

I posted a Friends of the Mount Vernon Public Library event.  On December 6, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., there will be an an Estate and Antiques appraiser at the Mount Vernon Public Library in the Grace Greene Baker community room.  General admission is $3, or $5 per item with an appraisal.



I spent some time with a colleague working on this months e-book order.


I also did a little bit more work with the oversize books.


The December Bookpage has come in.  There is a book by Louis Zamperini the protagonist of Unbroken written with David Rensin, Don't Give Up Don't Give In: Lessons from an Extraordinary Life.

I placed the dvd Brain Games Season 1 published by National Geographic on hold.  I also checked out the book Cibola Burn by by James S. Corey which is science fiction and the graphic novel, Barbarian Lord by Matt Smith.

I read some more of Unbroken on the way home.  I am reading about Louis Zamperini's time as a prisoner of the Japanese.  It describes him being beaten, denied adequate food, and enduring a variety of different cruelties.  It is a story of enduring.  The descriptions of being liberated with American bombers flying overhead makes the history of World War II much more real.



Web Bits

Library Futures: From Knowledge Keepers to Creators
http://www.wfs.org/futurist/2014-issues-futurist/november-december-2014-vol-48-no-6/library-futures-knowledge-keepers-c?utm_source=LTSA+Newsletter&utm_campaign=f0b14757a7-Library_futures11_26_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3d55aa40df-f0b14757a7-230239377

No comments: