Friday, May 5, 2017

Daily Thoughts 05/05/2017

The Reader, Grace Cossington, 1916
Daily Thoughts 05/05/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I checked the gift books and the displays.

I put in an order for large print books.  I am working on an order for books on professional development for librarians.

I spent some time discussing the computer classes.

I also printed up some flyers.

I read the New York Times Bestseller List and the Publishers Weekly Bestseller list today.

Two books came in for me to read, All Systems Red The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells and Deviate The Science of Seeing Differently by Beau Lotto.

I have been looking at professional books for librarianship as well.

On the way home, I read All Systems Red The Murderbot Diaries.  This was a story with some challenging ideas.  The main character is a security android who has subverted its program so it can watch entertainment videos and ignore some of the commands given to it.  There is a theme in the story of what it means to be free and be able to make choices.  The book is short, 149 pages and holds your attention.  I finished it on the way home.  It feels like a complete story.

I also started reading Deviate which is about how we perceive the world and how understanding that perception in terms of neuroscience can give us opportunities to innovate and change.

Web Bits


Mount Vernon Public Library Budget passed-- new trustee to be sworn

Back In the Big Apple BEA Preview 2017

Libraries are Fining Children Who Can't Afford to Be Without Books


No comments: