Thursday, May 11, 2017

Daily Thoughts 05/11/2017

Bouquet of Dahlias and White Book - Henri Matisse
Bouquet of Dahlias and White Book, Henri Matisse, 1923

Daily Thoughts 05/11/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of Deviate.  I am reading about how meditation and self reflective practices allow us to stop acting automatically for a little while.  This allows us to re-evaluate or rethink our past and create new opportunities in the future.  On the train to work, I finished reading Deviate The Science of Seeing Differently by Beau Lotto.  I am going to look through it again, because I liked many of the ideas.  I think Beau Lotto had some ideas that were different in this book.  It is the kind of book where you have to go through it three of four times to get some of the points.

I also started reading Utopia for Realists How We Can Build the Ideal World by Rutger Bregman.  Rutger Bregman discusses the medieval European utopia of "Cockaigne" where food, wine, and necessities are readily available to everyone and then compares it to our time.  He is setting the tone for the book.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.  I also checked out the book, We Have No Idea A Guide to the Unknown Universe by Jorge Cham and Daniel Whiteson.

I looked through a copy of the latest Times Literary Supplement.

The Growing and Aging Program is tonight from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Fiction Room.  The program went well.

I spent some time working on scheduling today.

I also put in some orders for books.

I did the final piece for the Mount Vernon Arts Initiative grant.




No comments: